My PhpStorm Customisations and Settings
In addition to the plugins that come bundled with PhpStorm, I also use IdeaVim, because I’m one of those people, and the EditorConfig plugin.
Removing as much of the interface as possible
I’m also one of these people.
Note: The search functionality in PhpStorm’s Settings window is pretty good, so I haven’t included the whole list of menus you need to drill down to find a setting.
- Hide all tool window bars by clicking the square icon in the lower left corner of the workspace.
- Turn off Display icons in menu items.
- Turn on Show memory indicator.
- Turn on Widescreen tool window layout (where appropriate).
- Remove tabs completely (set Tab Placement to None) and instead rely on Ctrl+E (to switch between recent files) and Ctrl+Shift+E (to switch between recently edited files).
- Turn off Show browsers popup in the editor.
Miscellaneous customisations and settings
- I current use the Darcula theme throughout and Iosekva as my editor font.
- Set the Project Opening‘s Default directory.
- Set some default visual guides at 72 and 78 characters.
- On macOS, make IdeaVim a more pleasant experience by running
defaults write com.jetbrains.PhpStorm ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool falsein the terminal.