This page was updated on 02/09/2021.
My PhpStorm Customisations and Settings
Maybe one day I’ll get round to using a settings repository, but for the moment running through this list takes at most ten minutes with a fresh install of PhpStorm, so eh.
Removing as much of the interface as possible
I’m also one of these people.
Note: The search functionality in PhpStorm’s Settings window is pretty good, so I haven’t included the whole list of menus you need to drill down to find a setting.
- Turn on Use contrast scrollbars.
- Turn on Use smaller indents in trees.
- Turn off Show tool window bars.
- Right-click the status bar and turn on the Memory Indicator.
- Turn off Display icons in menu items.
- Turn on Widescreen tool window layout (where appropriate).
- Remove tabs completely (set Tab Placement to None) and instead rely on Ctrl+E (to switch between recent files).
- Turn off Show browsers popup in the editor.
- Hide the navigation bar ( → → ); on macOS, ⌘+↑ will display a floating navigation bar if required.
IdeaVim customisations and settings
- Swap the audible bell for the visual one with
- Use the IdeaVim Settings window (click the IdeaVim icon in the status bar and select Settings…) to set the Ctrl+E and Ctrl+V keyboard shortcuts to be handled by the IDE.
- On macOS, make IdeaVim a more pleasant experience by running
defaults write com.jetbrains.PhpStorm ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool falsein the terminal.
Miscellaneous customisations and settings
- Ensure that PhpStorm is aware of all installed PHP CLI interpreters by going to the Settings window, and checking Languages & Frameworks → PHP.
- If using PhpStorm 2020.3 or later, if the option is available sync the IDE theme with the OS (on macOS change the preferred light theme to macOS Light). Otherwise, use the Darcula theme throughout.
- Set the editor font to Iosekva.
- Set default visual guides at 72 and 78 characters.
- Set the Project Opening‘s Default directory.
- Turn off the terminal’s Audible bell.
Project-level customisations and settings
- For projects that use NPM or Yarn, turn off the option to automatically add node_modules/.bin from the project root to
$PATH(this one is a little tricky to search for in the Settings window; find it under Tools → Terminal).